Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Using Affirmations


"Make your affirmation of a positive statement that declares to yourself and to the universe that you have this thing or quality in your life right now, such as "I live a simple, peaceful life."

It doesn't matter if the statements you affirm are not true yet. Repetition of an affirmation, combined with belief and imagination, enhances the ability of your subconscious mind to bring about the reality you affirm."


Elaine St. James -
"Inner Simplicity - 100 Ways to Regain Peace and Nourish Your Soul"
"Use Affirmations" page 68


I love the affirmation "I live a simple, peaceful life." I know it is not true for me at this time. Can an affirmation really change my attitude to look at my life as simple and peaceful? Or does it help me focus on and take the steps to make life more simple and peaceful? "Belief" and "Imagination." I need to work on those characteristics to help my subconscious work toward this goal.

The photo of my peace angel on the window sill of our kitchen sink area is a constant reminder that I want to live a simple and peaceful life. The Sweet Peas that Al brings me from the garden surround us with beauty and the wonderful fragrance. The fun marbles that Al collects are also a reminder of a simpler life when people used to play marbles. We have hundreds of marbles in our home. The Sea Urchin shells are also a reminder of the simple and peaceful life of the sea. What a blessing we are experiencing by having the opportunity to spend time here on the Oregon Coast.

I want to live a "simple, peaceful life." To appreciate and be thankful for the beauty and peace of our surroundings is my quest.

Photo: Peace Angel and Sweet Peas @ Lighthouse Beach - 9/24/08

6 comments:

GirlGriot said...

"I want to live a "simple, peaceful life." To appreciate and be thankful for the beauty and peace of our surroundings is my quest."

Pati, I think you are well on the way to this place ... if you aren't already there. Today in class, a student asked me how I was able to talk so nicely with everyone. As I was trying to think of an answer, another student said, "Because you have peace in your heart." I really liked that answer ... even though I'm not entirely sure it's true for me! But it was really nice to hear someone describe me as having peace in my heart. It made me happy, and made me want to work a little harder toward that goal.

BK said...

I love this idea of life but I don't think it applies to me. I don't have that peaceful feeling. For me the world is wild and running with speed.
I love my river and I love my city close by...
And I love checking out the beauty of your blog, Pati,
Bonnie

pati said...

Stacey, I loved reading about one of your students thinking that you had "peace in your heart." Beautiful thought. Thank you for sharing that phrase.

pati said...

Thank you Bonnie. The world is definitely spinning and out of control. That is why I want to look for peace in the everyday beauty of life, and look for the things that I can be thankful for, in my own little corner of the world.

Ashlee said...

Thank you, Pati. You blog brings peace and stillness into my hectic life. Thank you for the gentle reminders and techniques that I can start to incorporate into my routine, in an effort to be peaceful and live a peaceful life.

Anonymous said...

You are such an amazing teacher, Pati. Thank you for sharing yourself like this!