Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Psalm 23 - Miyashina Japanese Version


The Lord is my Pace-setter, I shall not rush;
He makes me stop and rest for quiet intervals.
He provides me with images of stillness,
which restore my serenity.
He leads me in ways of efficiency
through calmness of mind,
and His guidance is peace.
Even though I have a great many things
to accomplish each day,
I will not fret, for His presence is here;
His timelessness, His all importance,
will keep me in balance.
He prepares refreshment and renewal
in midst of my activity,
By anointing my mind with His oils of tranquility.
My cup of joyous energy overflows,
surely harmony and effectiveness
shall be the fruits of my hours,
for I shall walk, in the pace of my Lord
and dwell in His house forever.

Toki Miyashina
Japanese version of the 23 Psalm


As a child, raised in the Christian faith, I memorized the King James version of the 23rd Psalm. It is a favorite Psalm of many people for the peace and reassurance the words portray for our everyday lives. The 23rd Psalm is often used at funerals to give peace to the loved ones that remain here on Earth. It was my Grandmother Dory's favorite Bible verse and used at her funeral. I found this photo today that shows my Grandmother Dory sitting in a rocking chair at my childhood home. I can just imagine her praying as she rocked.

I love this version of the 23rd Psalm by Toki Miyashina that speaks to the busy activity of our lives, and the idea of making time for a respite, or a "quiet interval" in our everyday lives, to stop, pray, contemplate and be thankful.

Below is also a link for a "quiet interval," a video of nature scenes with music and the King James Version of the 23rd Psalm.

Psalm 23 Flash Movie

Photo: My Grandmother Dory, a treasure I found in my stack of childhood black and white photos.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I were able to view this movie. Alas, I can't. The writing itself helped push my thinking. Thanks Pati!

BK said...

What a wonderful photo and a wonderful sharing of a modern version on something traditional.
Thanks for sharing that with us,Pati,
Bonnie

Anonymous said...

Oh, I needed that. Thanks so much Pati! Peace to you, too, my friend!

Lennye said...

Psalms 23 was the first Bible verses I learned as a toddler. My Grandmother kept me and taught me scripture at an early age, but today I needed the updated version. I'm out with strep throat, a sign from God to rest! Unfortunately my mind is cluttered with the many things that aren't being accomplished and worry about what the sub is doing.