Thursday, September 17, 2009

Writing brings peace


"The magical power words had of connecting strangers wasn't lost on my kindergarten mind. Within days I was folding paper into halves and scribbling my own books. I eagerly handed them to Mom and watched as my story unfolded in her voice. And though it was the idea of sharing my voice that led me to the path of writing, I soon discovered what's kept me here: writing calms me, it helps me think. It brings me peace. In many ways, it's like prayer."

Sabra Ciancanelli
http://www.ourprayer.org/why-blog


"....my story unfolded in her voice," what a beautiful analogy. So meaningful for a child to have their parents read the beginnings of a young writer. I can just imagine the happiness of my grandchildren, and grand nephews, if their parents take the time to practice this style of learning. I remember hours and hours of reading and homework with our children. And...I still have projects/treasures stored in boxes to be sorted and saved in some meaningful scrapbook way. Maybe I'll get to that project next year....

Photo: Grandchildren and grand nephews at our family vacation on Lightouse Beach - 8/2/09 - Shore Acres Gardens - Coos Bay, Oregon

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great photo! Also, I love this post -- the meaning of words. So true...

Also, happy Fall! =)

Unknown said...

Timeless, classic, beautiful photograph. Happy Anniversary! (...I read it on Jessica's blog.)