Tuesday, February 15, 2011

You & Your Money Personality


Out with the old,
in with the new!

Today Mary Hunt, of Everyday Cheapskate, is writing about how two different types of money personalities, that are married, can work together to achieve "money harmony."

"The secret to achieving money harmony, no matter your marital situation or personality type, is found in finding financial balance... While the saver/spender combination appears to be deadly, I think it is in fact one of the best, provided both parties are willing to talk about money issues. They complement each other well. The saver has to recognize that spending money with restraint and wisdom brings joy. The spender has to learn that saving, giving and preparing for the future brings a sense of calm and peace."

Mary Hunt - Everyday Cheapskate - 2/14/11


The idea of "a sense of calm and peace" for our financial future sounds comforting. Calm and peace is something I am striving for on a daily basis. Al and I have decided to share a "One Little Word" for the year. http://www.bigpictureclasses.com/onelittleword.php

Facilitate - is our One Little Word that Al created from our conversations and discussions. Our main focus is to facilitate planning for our future, for the rest of our lives. Financial is one focus. We are working through other ideas as they develop and present themselves in the evolution of our lives. As we are in our mid 60's now, we need to work through Estate planning and make decisions for those final stages of our lives. We need to be able to communicate and work together to achieve that "sense of calm and peace," that Mary Hunt describes.

What do the shoes have to do with Facilitate? The old shoes on the right are at least 15 years old. On Sunday I wore them to church. Those shoes have been one of my favorites to wear with slacks, even after all the years of wear. I finally acknowledged to myself that they are too tight and hurt my feet. Yesterday, I bought the new pair of Timberland boots on the left. 15 year old shoes. One of the traits of a thrifty person is to save. I have lots of other shoes that are even older in my closet. I need to Facilitate getting rid of my old saved shoes - not necessarily replace them. "The saver has to recognize that spending money with restraint and wisdom brings joy." I am very happy to have found a nice pair of shoes to replace one of my old favorites and I am feeling the joy.

Photo: Old and the new shoes - 2/14/11

1 comment:

Liz said...

Nice Pati. These are wonderful revelations. Love it.